How to Make Reading FUN through character drawing!

Are you looking for a new way to get your first graders excited about reading? Add some artsy fun to your students' next reading adventure by letting them draw the characters. I read The Adventures of Captain Underpants and my kiddos loved the book. I read a chapter a day! They especially loved the character and his funny misadventures! I love exposing them to a variety of books! This daily reading activity (Plus another activity, which I'll write about on another post!) has turned them into eager readers. In addition to reading my students LOVE drawing!! I believe that drawing is one of the most important activities you and your students can do to build a closer relationship because it provides an easy-going, relaxed setting where you can get to know each other better.  I make it a point to incorporate drawing and painting in my lessons!

Here's what I do when I incorporate a character drawing into my reading:

1. Start by choosing a fiction book to read together. I usually give my students three choices and they get to vote on one.  Make sure the stories are both age-appropriate for your students and about something they'll find interesting.  For example:  For this read aloud, my students chose between Junie B. Jones, Flat Stanley and The Adventures of Captain Underpants.  I knew they would enjoy any of those books and that their character drawings would be interesting.
2. Read the book aloud, one chapter at a time.
After each chapter, encourage your students to think about the main character. What do they know about him/her so far?
3. Right about the middle of your reading, have your students begin to draw the main character on a sheet of white construction.  I often do a direct draw ( a little bit each day) for each character since my students love this method the best!

Once you finish the book it's time to celebrate!  Talk about their favorite part of the book, compare your illustrations, and share what you liked best.
Then, display their drawings proudly and  decide what book to read together next!

Take a look at their drawings!














No comments

Post a Comment